For eons, gold has been and still is among one of the most treasured precious metals on the planet.
It is not only a brilliant adornment to wear, but in many circumstances doubles as a hedge against inflation and fractured or fracturing economies on top of the ease that it could be liquidated at the drop of a hat. However, the primary bulk of the mined gold on the planet is directed towards the jewellery trade as people just love to wear gold and it is due to this very reason that there are some things that you should pay attention to when you go out and buy gold.
When it comes to buying gold jewellery the most important thing that gold buyers need to understand is that there are variations in gold that are determines its purity, quality and price on top of gram weight and design. Purity of gold jewellery is usually indicated by a marking on a gold jewellery piece that is determined by karats. It is actually a very simple concept, whereby 24 k = 100 % gold and anything below 24 k has a mixture of other metals, for example 18 karat gold jewellery will contain 75 % gold and the remainder 25 % will usually be a mixture of other metals (Usually common metal, such as zinc, copper, nickel or precious metals such as platinum or silver) that give the gold jewellery piece its colour tone and hardness.
As for the price of gold jewellery pieces such as chains, earring or necklaces, it is determined by not only the purity of the gold but also its weight and the alloy it is combined with (for instance if it is combined with silver, it will be worth more than if it is combined with copper) not to mention the amount of skill and labour that was exerted on the particular piece of jewellery (reputation of the goldsmith also plays a role here).
As for the colour of jewellery that contains gold (yellow gold, white gold, rose gold etcetera) it all depends on the mix, for instance combining pure with white metals, such as palladium or silver in combination, creates white gold which has become the preferred choice for wedding bands in most parts of the world. On the other hand if pure gold is combined with copper, it produces a distinct soft pink complexion which is more popularly referred to or regarded as ‘rose gold’ and although there are other varieties of gold that come in a wide range of colours that include, blue, green, black and purple, the most popular gold colour has and perhaps, will always be yellow gold which is noted for its distinct and mesmerising rich yet subtle characteristics.
Another factor that is worth noting when it comes to buying jewellery such as wedding rings or bands, necklaces, bracelets, earrings or anklets is identification of the piece. Most branded jewellers usually have a stamp or mark that indicates not only the karat, but also the jeweller themselves which is controlled via the hallmarking system under the Vienna convention of 1972.
Based on the fact that buying gold jewellery depends a lot on trust, buying jewellery from a reputed gold dealer would be an advisable approach towards buying and owning a good piece of jewellery as they do not only ensure the reliability and the authenticity of the pieces, but they also attach the pieces with ‘value’ that could be redeemed upon resale to individuals who appreciate jewellery craftsmanship.
Selling authentic jewellery pieces to gold refiners and second-hand gold dealers is never recommended as the ‘craftsmanship’ value is omitted from the piece and only the value for the gold content is offered to sellers.Read more